Tuesday 22 January 2013

Book Review: Don't Be Sad

Asalam waliykum all, 

Apologies for the delayed review! Lots happening in my hayat/life at the moment. Any-who, lets get into the review!




Don't Be Sad is a book by Dr. A'id Ibn 'Abdullah al-Qarni. For those who do not know him, you can Google him. He is a 'famous' and well respected Sheikh from Saudi Arabia. Mashallah I respect this Sheikh a lot. He speaks with knowledge, experience and sincerity and is very committed to helping Muslims all around the globe. (Dr Al-Qarni Below)



I got my copy as a "engagement" present from my Zawj, at the time was my fiance. He purchased it while in Morocco for around 55-60 Dirhems. The original is in Arabic, and as far as I am aware has been translated into a few languages including English, I have never stopped reading it from that day until now. 
The book opens with contents, transliteration table, publisher's note, an introduction and then begins the actual book. 

What can I say about this book? Don't Be Sad is an absolute must read for anyone, especially Muslims, every Muslim should own a copy of this. It is full of practical advice for those dealing with sadness and how to replace this sadness with a positive out look on life. Ultimately allowing us to appreciate the dunya is full of troubles and an illusion of enjoyment. And as the famous hadith goes "to be as travelers on this earth". That we may have an Islamic outlook on our life. 

This is defiantly not like any other "self help" book that is out there. It identifies everything we experience daily and how to deal with it in a practical manner. At times, I feel the book has been put together for me, it really feels personal and not a general look at life, It goes into great depths.

Below are a few of my favorite points from the book, just a few of many: 



*The heart finds peace, the soul finds rest, nerves are relaxed and the intellect is awakened when we Remember Allah


*A person who lives in the past is like someone who tries to saw sawdust. Everything on earth marches forward, preparing for a new season - so should you

*Today is what you have and the only thing you can work with. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow isn't here yet.

*Eat your food - do your work - offer your prayers - sleep well and leave tomorrow until it comes.

*Always better to be busy than bored -Idleness is a slow torture; it is an expert thief and your mind is the victim.


* A person who is sitting on the ground does not fall, and people do not kick a dead dog.

* If you find yourself in difficulty and distress, show kindness and do good to others, and you will be the first to find solace. 

* The harm that was perpetrated against you was atonement for your sins and can result in an increase in ranking with Allah. 

* Always turn to Allah, placing one's trust in him, and being satisfied with his care and protection. 

* Whatever is written for you will unerringly come to you, so have sabr and accept the decree of Allah. 

The book is abundant with Quran, Hadith and even Arabic poetry. Like I mentioned in a previous post, this book helped me through difficult times. I am strong believer that constantly reminding one self that life is very short helps keep you grounded, so when tragedy strikes we are able to deal with the situation in a better way. No one is saying we can not be sad or cry, However, if we truly believe life is short and there is an everlasting life after death we will be able to cope better and be prepared. 

I recently lost my Grandfather and my aunt, and I have never experienced a loss within my close family up until then. I was on a roller coaster of emotions, but at the end I remembered all I have learned from the deen. We have to accept death, and accept it is a part of life, without death there would be no life. It reminds me of a Japanese cartoon I once watched, I will never forget what one of the characters said -"Would you make the sea grow still in order to save one wave?". 
Again our depression and constant sadness will not ease the situation, make that person come back or erase what has happened. The only thing that will help them and ourselves is Allah, turning back to Allah, Making plenty of Dua and growing closer to Allah and Islam. In the remembrance of Allah do hearts find peace. 

Finally I would like to add that you should take time in reading this book. It is no harry potter or some fiction. It really requires your full attention and for some this may be too much of an effort. I myself and others have never finished it and then put it on the bookshelf to be forgotten, it is something I pick up often to look up a chapter to remind myself when things get a little tough. It truly is a book for life. I contemplated given it away so others can read it, but I just can not part with it because it is such a valuable tool. However, I will bulk buy Inshallah  Don't Be Sad has helped me so much, regardless of what you are going through this book will give you practical advice on how to deal with an issue come to terms with it and learn from it. 

Inshallah you have found this review useful, like I mentioned I recommend everyone to read Don't Be Sad. 
Please share, and leave feedback.

Jazakallah khier

Wasalam -x- 


12 comments:

  1. JazakiAllah for sharing!! This is one of my favorite books, so amazing Mashallah!

    It's so sweet that your Zawj gave you this book as an engagement present! So lovely Masallah <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allah Barek feek sis,
    Yeah deffo a fav of mine too. Do not go anywhere without it.
    Yeah mashallah, my husband knows i love books... so i got a few before we got married :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. AL HAMDULILLAH ONE OF MY FAVOURITE BOOKS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Consider the online movie ticket reservation system as a case study and draw primary level DFD and Data Dictionary.
    10
    sad pics

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work is very inspiring...

    Hindi News  

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice and great book review dear. i like it
    check out good morning god images and share these pics.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers so please feel free to comment everyone is welcome!
Please Respect the blog and all those who post and read, Any nasty, insulting, bullying and racial comments will be deleted and the person will be blocked. I do not tolerate such comments.
I welcome constructive criticism but please have Hiqma and do so privately and respectfully.
Jazaka Allah khier :)