Wednesday 23 January 2013

Homemade Washing Powder

Asalam Waliykum, 

Really wanted to share this with you guys. I just watched a programme called Superscrimpers on Channel 4. You can watch the show online on 4OD. Well the one thing that got me excited was being shown how to make an effective homemade laundry detergent. 



I have super sensitive skin, and a few years back my Mama decided to use Daz detergent and 24 hours later I turned into the Michelin Man, for those who do not know who he is, look it up on Google and have a good old laugh. Just shows us how dangerous and toxic washing detergent can be with all those chemicals. And in light of my recent change trying to be more natural and environment friendly with cleaning products, and beauty products this is something I will defiantly try and use from now on.  

What you need: 

- 1 100% vegetable oil unscented soap bar
- 250 mls worth Washing Soda Crystals
- Essential Oil of your choice
- A large pan

What to do:

Bring 1 pint of water to the boil in a large pan.
Whilst the water is being brought to the boil, completely grate the bar of soap add this to the boiled water.
You must make sure that all the soap has been completely dissolved before taking off the heat.
Then add 250 mls of the washing soda crystals, and around 20 drops of your chosen essential oil. Lavender oil is a good option, however, you could use lemon oil, tea tree oil etc. 

This will be more of a gloppy detergent. If you have an old detergent cap fill it with your handmade detergent mixture and place into the drum with your clothes. Store the detergent in an air tight container to prevent it from drying out. Be sure to shake the container before use. 

As far as I am aware you can get these products from many shops in the UK. I hope you guys try this, and do share with everyone and anyone! It is better for the environment, safer to use and also a lot cheaper then shop detergents. 

Jazakallah khier

Wasalam -x- 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers so please feel free to comment everyone is welcome!
Please Respect the blog and all those who post and read, Any nasty, insulting, bullying and racial comments will be deleted and the person will be blocked. I do not tolerate such comments.
I welcome constructive criticism but please have Hiqma and do so privately and respectfully.
Jazaka Allah khier :)